A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Writing Woes: Guilt

Like many writers, I have a tendency to procrastinate. Taking breaks from my writing hasn't been all bad. The extra time to rethink my story has resulted in improvements that I'm proud of. However, I thought I'd be done with my novel by now, and the more I procrastinate, the more that procrastination has become linked with something else: guilt.

When I don't write, I feel guilty. Then I start to associate writing with that guilt. I tell myself I should write to avoid the guilt, to make it go away. But is that really what I want my motivation to be? To avoid guilt?

Perhaps the solution is to remind myself of how much I've enjoyed writing. Instead of avoiding something negative, I should focus on how writing brings positive feelings.

It sounds good in theory, but putting it into practice isn't that simple. How do I break the habits of guilt?

In a few weeks I'll attend a local writers' conference, with topics that sound fascinating. I hope the collective energy and excitement of that event will stay with me after I return home. I've also been talking to Silbrith about my challenges, and having another writer's perspective helps.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment