A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Thursday, January 2, 2020

Welcome to the Writing Year of the Dragon

Last year, Silbrith and I had an inside joke that 2019 was the year of the penguin in our writing journey. We've decided to designate this next year of writing as the year of the dragon. **

Why dragons?

Often dragons represent something big and frightening, and we definitely see that on the horizon. Silbrith has started an original novel and wants to complete it this year. I completed an original novel last year and went into a flurry of activity recently when an agent asked to see the full manuscript. There's nothing like having someone ask to read something I've written to make me decide my work is unfit for human consumption. I've spent weeks polishing and updating the novel in the hopes that it will be good enough.

Next week I'll send my book baby to the agent who requested the full manuscript, and to another who requested the first ten pages. I'll hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.

So, dragons.

We're not going to fight our dragons, though. That's not our style. Silbrith and I are going to befriend them. In facing the scary things, we'll try to find the good in the experience while winning over allies who can help us meet our goals.

Wish us luck!

** our personal writing year of the dragon, not to be confused with the Chinese Year of the Dragon, which we know is not this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment