A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Monday, March 15, 2021

Chocolate Box 2021

This year I wrote two stories for the AO3 Chocolate Box challenge. One of them is a crossover, so I covered three fandoms. As I did last year, I'll describe the stories and include notes about diversity and the Bechdel test.

Fandom: Psych
Title: Happy Hour
Characters: Shawn, Gus, Lassiter
The prompt: Humor, detective work, and pineapples
Premise: When Shawn and Gus take a vacation to Hawaii, Gus has one specific goal: to attend a happy hour on the beach where he can drink a Mai Tai from a coconut with a little umbrella in it. It shouldn't be complicated, but when are things simple when Shawn is involved?
Thoughts: Humor and fluff.
Diversity: 1 of 3 characters is Black, and none are female. All of the characters are canonically straight and I didn't reference their orientation in the story. Does not pass the Bechdel test.

Fandom: Crossover of Doctor Who and Pride & Prejudice
Title: Universal Truths of Time Travel
Characters: Thirteenth Doctor, Elizabeth Bennet, Jane Bennet, Lydia Bennet, Mrs. Bennet, a cat
The prompt: What happens when the Doctor meets Elizabeth Bennet?
Premise: In Regency England to meet Jane Austen, the Doctor instead encounters some of Austen's characters. But the story doesn't match what the Doctor remembers. Who is changing the plot of Pride & Prejudice?
Thoughts: Humor and fluff, with meta aspects
Diversity: All of the human characters are canonically white, female, and straight. Passes the Bechdel test.

I hope you enjoy them! You may recall in that in prior years I've written 7-8 stories for this challenge. A death in the family the week I received my assignment put a damper on things for me this time. I'll touch more on that in a future post.


No comments:

Post a Comment