A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Thursday, April 29, 2021

Caffrey Conversation Revisited

Eight years ago I was in the middle of writing Caffrey Conversation, with no idea it would spawn an entire AU series. Now I'm about to post an additional chapter of bonus content to thank the many readers who have made my day over the years by leaving kudos and comments for the series and for this story in particular.

When I decided to add a new chapter, I soon landed on Sara as my focus. She doesn't pop up until several stories into the series, but over the years Silbrith and I have built up a backstory for her. It was fun to go back in time and describe what she was doing while Neal was in St. Louis being recruited by Peter. It was also an opportunity to help Caffrey Conversation pass the Bechdel test. You'll encounter more women than men in the new chapter.

I wanted Sara's experience in her chapter to have parallels with Neal's in the rest of the story. A few of these are:

- Sofia greets Sara with "still here?" echoing Mozzie's question to Neal in the first chapter. 

- Likewise, Sofia asks Sara to be her replacement in a commitment, in the same way Mozzie asked Neal to take his place in the job in St. Louis.

- Sara ponders an opportunity to return to her hometown, as Neal returns to the city where he grew up

- Sara returns to her high school and reflects on her experiences there, as Neal focuses on events that happened during his final year of high school

- Sara spends time catching up with her aunt, as Neal drives by his "aunt" Ellen's home and then calls her to catch up

- And they both make career decisions that will lead them to meet in New York!

The new chapter starts during Caffrey Conversation, but ends in the early chapters of Choirboy Caffrey. In Choirboy, Peter overhears Neal's side of a couple of phone conversations. In Sara's chapter, she overhears Henry's side of one of those conversations.

Yes, Henry pops up at the end of the chapter! He insisted on showing up, as did his nemesis Robert. 

On a more bittersweet note, I finished and posted Caffrey Conversation in 2013, a couple of months after my mother died. And this bonus chapter is being posted a few months after losing my father. The AU continues to bring comfort to me, and I hope it continues to bring pleasure and comfort to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment