A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Friday, October 1, 2021

Witches and Demons

Halloween is still several weeks away, but any holiday featuring black cats, owls, bats, witches, vampires, and ghosts deserves a month-long celebration, at least in my household. This year to mark the occasion, I'm revisiting my Crossed Lines stories.

I started the project during the summer and began posting the expanded stories in mid-September. In revising the stories, I discovered that Crowley and Maia were particularly chatty. Crowley was especially demanding about his role. In comparison with Supernatural canon, he has evolved into being much less evil. Curtis Hagen plays a major role in his new trajectory, a process that will accelerate in future stories. Revisiting the early stories has allowed me to describe in greater depth what is taking place. Maia's character has also proceeded down a different path than I'd originally intended. Her backstory rivals Crowley's in complexity and I've enjoyed filling in more of the blanks.

In the first story of Crossed Lines, Neal and Peter's paths crossed the Winchesters for what they assumed would be one adventure. That road trip has so far spawned twelve additional stories. I'm currently writing the first draft of the longest Crossed Lines story to date, editing two others, and have ideas for several more. Unexpectedly, there are many more intersections between Neal's life in New York City and the Winchesters' world than I dreamed possible when I began writing the series.

Revisiting the stories has the side benefit of luring still more plot bunnies out of hiding. Rufus believes he has a future in Crossed Lines, and a certain angel from the Supernatural canon is frantically waving his wings to be included. A red-headed witch named Rowena is also eager to join the cast.





No comments:

Post a Comment