A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Monday, February 19, 2018

Chocolate Box 2018

Last year I participated in the AO3 Chocolate Box exchange, and when it completed I decided I definitely wanted to sign up again in 2018. Now that authors for this year's exchange have been revealed, I can finally post links to my stories and share tidbits about the experience. Each time, participating in this challenge meant writing pairings and even fandoms I'd not written before. It was so much fun, Silbrith probably wondered if I was ever going to stop sending her stories to beta. Seriously, I wrote seven stories in a month. Silbrith had no idea what she was getting into when she offered her beta services. (Thanks, Silbrith!)

Because the assignments for this exchange go out in early January, I find it an excellent way to start off the year not only writing, but also stretching my imagination. This year I again decided to write two stories for my assigned recipient, and then branched out to write treats for others whose prompts inspired me. For the first time I dipped my toe into the Original Work category. I also attempted my first triple: crossing over three fandoms in a single story.

When the stories were revealed, I'd received 3 Chocolate Box gifts, plus Silbrith had gifted her latest story to me, too. If you're curious to see what I received, I'd encourage you to check them out here: Penna's Gifts. The stories are all fun. In addition to Silbrith's Dark Rabbit -- which you should definitely check out -- there's a hilarious Ghostbusters story, an outstanding futuristic/meta Pride & Prejudice story, and a crossover between Supernatural and Stargate SG-1 I simply loved. Truly, an eclectic mix of chocolates perfect for Valentines Day.

Here are the links to the stories I wrote. I hope you'll enjoy them!

Jones Walks into a Bar - White Collar, featuring Neal and Jones undercover, pretending to be a couple
The Dentist of Detroit Job - Crossover of White Collar and Leverage, featuring Neal and Sophie -- who know each other from Neal's time in Europe -- as their teams target the same mob boss
The Garden Party - The Good Place, featuring Eleanor and Tahani as soulmates
Attempt 801 - The Good Place, featuring Michael and Eleanor as soulmates
Refreshment Time - Star Trek: Voyager, featuring Tuvok singing "Afternoon Delight" to Captain Janeway to deliver a warning about the customs of the planet they're visiting
Hogwarts Needs Substitute Teachers - Crossover of Harry Potter, Discworld and Mary Poppins, featuring Minerva McGonagall recruiting Granny (Esme) Weatherwax and Mary Poppins
Fic Seduction - Original Work, featuring a Pride & Prejudice fanfic seducing its reader

No comments:

Post a Comment