A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Tag, You're It

I plan to publish Sedlow Chronicles on Wattpad in addition to FictionPress. Wattpad in particular encourages the use of tags. Any and all one-word descriptors are allowed. Over the past few weeks, my characters and I have enjoyed playing a game of tag over which ones to use. Here's a sneak peek at our list to date:

  • #fantasy. That one was a no-brainer, but should we include #sciencefiction as well? The plot contains science-fiction elements so we added it to the bucket. The term fantasy is so broad, I'll also use the #urbanfantasy filter.

  • #romance. The modern definition of romantic fiction includes any work where a love story is an important element and the ending is optimistic. Does Watling's Marsh, the first novel in the series qualify? I believe so, but I also intend to use the slowburn tag. Gwynn's path to love will take a long time to resolve.

  • #diverse. A primary objective in building the cast was to include different cultures, ethnicities, and orientations. My task was simplified by the setting since universities, like international space stations, tend to be natural melting pots. Along with the diverse tag, #lgbt, #inclusive, #multiracial, and #interracial are also appropriate.

  • #family. As in my other series, family relationships play a key role. I'll also toss in #foundfamily which is one of my favorite tags.

  • #historical. Sedlow Chronicles is set in the recent past. Other time periods are also featured.

  • #animals. The diverse cast I mentioned above includes animals, some of whom play essential roles.


No comments:

Post a Comment