A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Friday, September 8, 2017

Puppy Love: the Splash vignette

In case you're wondering, I haven't forgotten or abandoned the Caffrey Conversation AU. For several months, I've been pondering a story from Satchmo's point of view. What would a dog want to tell us a story about?

Another dog, of course! Silbrith and I played bunnyball with the idea of Henry adopting a puppy, and I decided that should be the subject of my next vignette.

My apologies to Satchmo. He only gets a couple of scenes from his point of view instead of the whole story, but if he wants to claim those are the best scenes, I won't argue.

A scenario that crossed my mind was that Satchmo might believe that he is a detective, far superior to any mere human. Don't worry about him getting too serious. He's a strong believer in work-life balance, and puts a high priority on romping and snoozing and taking care of his extended family of humans.

I imagined Henry's new puppy having misadventures and being in need of rescue when she meets him. Hmmm. Who does that sound like? Neal, perhaps?

Neal and Peter can't help but notice the parallels between the puppy and our favorite reformed con artist. As a result, Neal remembers a time a couple of weeks after he ran away from home.

Long ago, Silbrith had requested stories about the time Neal and Henry were on the road together. Although I'd partially met that request in Caffrey Disclosure by sharing a few details about what they were up to, now I feel I've finally written a story that meets the spirit of her request.

Read the Splash vignette

Look at that cute puppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment