A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Monday, May 20, 2019

Writing retreat: 2019

Less than a week ago we wrapped up our third annual writers' retreat. When I first got back home, I struggled with how to summarize the event. It took a few days to gain the perspective to see that a theme had in fact developed. And that theme was: Endings.

Endings have been on a lot of people's minds recently. TV and movie series have aired their finales, and people have stressed over spoilers and about whether the finales did justice to the series. I've also been reading the 4-book Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater, and as I reach the end of the last book, I'm pondering how it will end and how that ending was foreshadowed.

Foreshadowing... weaving threads together... how I love doing that! And reading the Raven Cycle, I can also say that as a reader I appreciate being on the receiving end.

Getting back to our retreat... Our hotel rooms were mini suites, and we moved the seating and TV screen to wrap up our evenings with a movie. We selected Ocean's 8 for Bechdel-test inspiration, Bride and Prejudice for pure whimsy, and Colossal for something different. We indulged in commentary as we watched, and then talked about the endings. It wasn't something we planned, but having spent much of the day plotting stories we couldn't help discussing the movie plots.

For the first time, one of us brought a spouse along for the retreat. Given that this is someone who doesn't like spoilers and hasn't seen the final season of White Collar yet, we wondered how it would work. It went incredibly well. The experience made me realize how much of our plotting sessions are really what-if sessions. We'd kick off a conversation with: what if this happened? Sometimes that led to: no, never mind, that wouldn't work. Other times it led to more what ifs. What if Neal did this, and then suppose Peter did that...

We even went so far as to discuss how Caffrey Conversation will end. That's still years away, but we do have thoughts about the outcomes for the main characters. We keep those ideas in mind, so that the ending will make sense and feel natural. We focused not only on marriages and kids and jobs, but also growth. After all of these experiences, how has Neal changed and grown as a person? What does that mean for his relationships with others, such as Peter?

Those questions have remained in my mind. This week after I watched the finale of The Big Bang Theory, I couldn't help reflecting on how it felt like a gift to viewers, with many nods to how the characters have grown, while still staying true to who the characters were. Before the retreat, I'd visited Sholio's blog and read her thoughts about the White Collar finale. I couldn't help contrasting the endings, and thinking about what those different approaches mean to fans. Suffice it to say, I want the Caffrey Conversation ending to feel more like, "ah, yes, of course," as opposed to the "what the hell" feeling of a rug pulled out from under you.

Endings are important. They're so important to me that I will often read reviews with spoilers before committing my time and emotions to a series of books or movies or a TV show. I want assurance that the author(s) have a clear vision and aren't just yanking my chain. Once I'm into a series and have that trust, then I'm fine with surprises. For instance, I've loved the twists and turns of The Good Place. At this point I trust that the show's writers love the characters and respect the viewers, and I'm happily along for the ride.

That's what I want for readers of the Caffrey Conversation.

And speaking of endings, I'd like to pay my respects to the amazing Doris Day, who we envisioned in the role of Neal's grandmother: Irene Caffrey.


No comments:

Post a Comment