A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Sunday, August 4, 2019

The Balance of Loss and Hope

A week ago a multi-published author did me the great honor of reading the first chapters of my novel, and spent an hour talking to me about what I've written. As we discussed the direction I have in mind, she steered the conversation to the concept of risks and loss. What does the main character stand to lose? What is he willing to sacrifice?

Over the last week I've worked on an assignment she gave me, keeping those questions in mind. At first I was uncomfortable. While I understand that rising stakes adds to drama, I worried about pushing my characters and readers too far. Even though I'm not writing romance with its expected happily-ever-after, I do prefer happy endings.

If you've read my longer works of fanfiction, then you know that I like to have my main characters in an upward trajectory. They may angst and suffer and worry along the way, but in the end they are stronger. If they aren't in a better place, we can at least see they are making progress.

Fortunately my awesome beta Silbrith helped me see the key that allayed my fears. She's reading Good Omens in advance of watching the TV adaptation, and commented on how a story about the end of the world has marvelously sweet and gentle moments.

That was my ah-ha moment. The formula I've used and loved is one where kind and clever characters give us a balance of loss and hope. In the Caffrey Conversation AU, Byron dies, but leaves a legacy of love with June and provides advice that will help Neal in years to come. Neal struggles to fit into his new job at the FBI, but even as he faces adversity, he gains friends and proves the White Collar team is stronger with him.

The main character of my novel faces a similar trajectory. It seems like the odds are stacked against him -- that he can't be himself and be accepted in his society. He has powerful enemies. But he also has hope. He makes friends who help him, gains resources that will take his enemies by surprise, and he has a family who loves him even if he doesn't always make that easy.

It's my hypothesis that while drama may keep many readers intrigued enough to turn the page, hope keeps most of them going. That is, I keep reading because I want to know how the characters will get out of this mess and succeed. If I have no hope of that happening, I would stop reading.

I know that the side of good doesn't always win in the real world. Promising a happy ending might make my work less realistic, and that's okay with me. I read for pleasure and escapism, and write for the same reasons. And yes, I'll look for spoilers before reading if I don't know or trust the author to give me a happy ending. That's my choice as a consumer of fiction, and if I have a "brand" as a writer, it certainly involves offering hope to those who do me the honor of reading my stories.

And now, back to my homework!


No comments:

Post a Comment