A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Sunday, May 9, 2021

May 2021: Writing Projects

Camp NaNoWriMo is now a wrap and along with it my first draft of the Caffrey Conversation story Set in Amber. Camp turned into an unexpected adventure. I'd signed up, fully expecting to write a complex, international con. Aim for the sky, right? But somewhere around the third night, several characters crashed my neatly arranged tent and transformed it into a pirate ship. I was given two choices—write the kind of story they wanted or walk the plank. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with an outline. But over mugs of grog, their faces streaked with melted chocolate from s'mores, the pirate crew insisted that writing an outline was the best way for them to pounce on an idea and hijack it. Is that a good thing? It's certainly more fun. Readers will have a chance to judge the results for themselves next spring.

For now, Set in Amber is dozing on a shelf. In my April blog post, I pondered the futures of Raquel and Alex. They proposed some novel solutions in the course of the draft, but it's unclear if they'll carry them out. Klaus was one of the prominent stowaways, something which is becoming increasingly common. Klaus is featured in the story I'm currently posting, Tsunami. He's campaigning for a new arc focused on him and Neal. I'd asked readers to share their thoughts about Klaus and he was very encouraged by the response. Thanks to all who participated!

The process of revisiting my completed stories continues. I'm now in the summer of 2005 in Neal's timeline, having completed Caffrey Conversation through Echoes of a Violin, Crossed Lines through Fireflies at Midnight, and Arkham Files through The Crypt. The revised stories are also being posted on Wattpad where I'm dividing them into shorter chapters. The content is the same on all three platforms (FanFiction, Archive of Our Own, and Wattpad) but if you prefer shorter chapters, you may wish to give Wattpad a try. All my stories are free.

Oh, and one more thing. On May 9, I began posting my first novel! Watling's Marsh is the first in the Sedlow Chronicles series. It's a fantasy set in 1972. An introduction to the series is on the Sedlow Chronicles page of this blog.






No comments:

Post a Comment