A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Sedlow Chronicles Backdrop

Many of the characters in my other series made a strong case for my fledgling original series to be set in New York City. And I admit to being tempted. But this was my chance to create a city that so far had existed only in my imagination. I could plunk Sedlow down in whatever state I liked, design the architecture, create its history and features. Who could resist a lure like that? I settled on a happy compromise. New York City is close to my new city, and it has already been slated as a location for future scenes.

I placed Sedlow on the Connecticut coast. The city was founded in 1645 as a seaport. In modern times, it is primarily known as the home of Ogden University. Established in 1660, the university is the second oldest in the country. Much of the original federal-style architecture can be seen on campus and in the historic district which adjoins the university. The Essex River meanders through the heart of town. Margot's Bistro, the Folly, Lydia's Ice Cream, and Claxton Mews are among the locations that the characters and I explored early on.

Once I had a physical location established, my next task was to pick an era. Arkham Neal and Sara campaigned for historical stories. Sara in particular advocated for fashions of a different era. Mozzie took a different tack, demanding that time travel be included. Jack, the lead in my Six-Crossed Knot series, is very familiar with different historical eras. His stories started in the Elizabethan Era and have now progressed to the Baroque. The series is a fantasy, after all. Why restrict myself to the present?

So I didn't. For Sedlow Chronicles, I picked the year 1972. It's a few years earlier than the time of Arkham Files. Among the many crosscurrents are the Vietnam War, the Cold War, the Space Race, and the Cultural Revolution. It's a time of growing awareness of environmental concerns as well as greater sexual freedom. In Sedlow, as elsewhere, think tanks and research institutes are springing up around universities where they can take advantage of academic resources. As for Mozzie's hope of time travel, I may have partially satisfied his request although not in the way he'd envisioned it.




No comments:

Post a Comment