A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Sedlow Chronicles: Meet Gwynn Tully

When I started to conceptualize Sedlow Chronicles, I began with the main character. I knew I wanted a female lead. Diana had been advocating for a woman for a long time. She pointed out that in my five other series, only one (Tales from the Library) features a female lead—a gross imbalance badly in need of adjustment.

We came up with Gwynn Tully in the starring role. Diana is biracial and a member of the LGBTQ community. She campaigned for Gwynn to be similarly diverse, and the other characters gave their wholehearted endorsement. Gwynn's mother is Egyptian, and her father is third-generation Welsh. Why Wales? Some of my ancestors came from Wales. I don't think I can claim any Egyptian blood although my interest in ancient Egypt has to spring from somewhere.

Gwynn is twenty-three years old and bisexual. She grew up in New York City and received her undergraduate education at Stanford University. As Watling's Marsh begins, Gwynn is starting classes at Ogden University in Sedlow, Connecticut where she's enrolled in the doctorate program in ecology. I'll have more about Sedlow and Ogden in my next post.

Like Neal, Gwynn has secrets. Both characters grew up either concealing or unaware of elements of their life story. Neal hid his secrets behind a conman's exterior. Gwynn chose another route. She's a loner and awkward around others. Her dating history has been a series of disasters. Gwynn hopes her move to Sedlow will be a fresh start, and that's what it turns out to be, but in a way she never would have imagined.

In my dream cast of actors, I chose Karen Gillan to play Gwynn. Imagine her with curly hair and olive skin.




No comments:

Post a Comment