A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Saturday, March 6, 2021

February 2021 Writing Projects

February was a month that made me glad I could take writing breaks. Winter storms knocked out our power and water for several days. It was getting to the point that I seriously considered writing my current draft in longhand, and anyone who has seen my handwriting knows what a sacrifice that would have been. Despite the challenges of the month, I made progress on several fronts.

I'm currently writing a first draft for the Crossed Lines series. As usual, the characters have taken me in a different direction from where I originally intended. Crowley has been typically snarky, this time demanding an arc for Curtis Hagen. He also insists I highlight the warm, fuzzy side to his personality. Can a demon have a warm, fuzzy side? When I consulted with Dean and Sam, they weren't much help.

Sam has been having nightmares again. The Yellow-eyed Demon hasn't appeared yet in the series, but his time may be coming. Dean has been so preoccupied with his new hobby, he may not notice the warning signs. Meanwhile, Neal and Sara made an outrageous suggestion for their involvement. Peter has been monitoring closely from the sidelines. Will he truly be happier by being kept in the dark as Neal believes? Or, despite his complaints, does he secretly love being involved in supernatural adventures? Over in the world of Caffrey Conversation, Klaus has been invading my daydreams. Like Crowley, he is demanding a larger role in future stories, but he faces tough competition.

A few months ago, I began posting my works on Wattpad. This provided the mental kick I needed to revisit the early stories, rooting out typos and making tweaks. I'm posting the fanfics in chronological order. My goal for March is to have a refreshed version of The Mirror complete. As chapters are revised, I also update them on AO3 and Fanfiction. Reviewing those early stories has paid unexpected dividends as they help crystallize ideas for future directions. Eventually all my stories will be available on Wattpad.

February was an exciting month for Six-Crossed Knot. The actor chosen to play Jack as an adult in the TV production of A Discovery of Witches was revealed. I was delighted by the selection of Toby Regbo. He's so close to Deborah Harkness's description of Jack that I wonder if she had Toby in mind. Viewers of the TV series will need to wait for the third season to meet Jack as an adult. In my stories, Jack will next appear in Winter's Rages. I'll start posting that story on March 24.

Penna and I celebrated the seventh anniversary of our writing partnership in February. In a couple of weeks, we'll mark the occasion by posting a tag Penna wrote to the story I'm currently posting, Dawn of the Jackalopes. Her work is called "Back in Time" and will be published as the final chapter to the story.

I'm in the midst of making the final round of edits to Watling's Marsh, an original fantasy novel. It's scheduled to be posted beginning in May. My heartfelt thanks to Penna and my husband for providing beta critiques. The story is the first in the Sedlow Chronicles series. Gwynn Tully, the series' protagonist, is eager to join the lineup. I'll have much more about her and the series in the coming months.

Happy reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment