A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Novel Progress: homes and clothing of the future

When describing the world of my sci-fi novel, one of my inspirations was the design competition shows my mother and I used to watch. Mom liked to pause those shows as soon as the challenge was revealed, taking time to think through what she would do before watching the direction the designers took. One challenge in particular stayed in my mind for days after I watched the episode. The challenge was to design the room of the future, and it inspired ideas that came back to me as I built the world of Arden for my novel.

My initial thought was that the room of the future would be entirely beige. Colors and patterns would be programmed for the walls, floors, furniture, and artwork. Any space on the wall could become art or a media display. It would be easy enough to program background noises and scents, too.

I acknowledge I'm not to first to think of these things. Since watching that design show, I've read novels with similar concepts.

In my novel, I applied the idea of programmable rooms to homes, hotels, and hospitals. And then I decided to apply it to clothing, too. Why have a closet filled with clothing options, when you could select a smaller number of truly comfortable pieces that could be any color and pattern that strikes your fancy on a given day? Imagine the space you could save, while still enjoying a myriad of options.

No comments:

Post a Comment