A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Sunday, April 12, 2020

The Pie Hole

Many months ago, I had an idea for a stand-alone Supernatural story inspired by Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network. Host Guy Fieri has classic cars that reminded me of Dean's Impala, and of course Dean likes diners.

My idea was that Dean became a fan of the series. I'd heard that some fans go on road trips to visit places featured on the show. What if Dean started selecting jobs based on proximity to restaurants he wanted to try?

The result is a fluffy story about food and a restaurant I named the Pie Hole, which might be haunted.  The owners are Avalon and Veronica, a couple who help the story pass the Bechdel test.

Dean goes undercover and learns to bake pies. Please excuse my handwaving over the scene where he learns to make a pie crust, as I only know how to make no-bake crusts.

For Caffrey Conversation fans, there's a bit of an Easter egg. The Winchester brothers are seated at a table with architect Josie and her husband Noel, who are from Baltimore. These are a gender-flipped version of Joe and Noelle Burke.

I hope you enjoy Demons, Drive-ins and Dives.

No comments:

Post a Comment