A conversation about the writing journey of Penna and Silbrith.
Current projects: Penna is writing a Caffrey Conversation story.
Silbrith will post Dances with Dinosaurs (Caffrey Conversation) on May 23.

Banner: Will Quinn

Monday, April 6, 2020

The Dragon Update

A few months ago, Silbrith and I declared 2020 the year of the dragon, representing our goal of facing and even befriending the challenges we encounter with our writing. We had no idea...

Since the last time I posted about the dragons in my life, several more have emerged. Many of these aren't specific to writing. I mention them because they affect my writing or ability to write.

The first to swoop down was George, the funeral dragon. He represents my grandfather's death and funeral about two months ago. There's a lot of sadness there, but at this point I also have gratitude. He lived a long, robust life, with his health failing only at the very end. His decline occurred before nursing homes were closed to visitors, and he was able to see family every day. And due to the timing, I could travel to support my family through the funeral. So I wave George a fond farewell.

Next was Job, the work dragon. At first he masqueraded as a magical pixie leading me to an opportunity for advancement. I'd applied for an upgraded position at work, essentially transitioning from temporary to permanent. I reached the 3rd and final round of interviews, but wasn't selected. That hurt. And yet I know I'm fortunate, because I have a full-time job that can be done remotely, supportive management, and excellent benefits. Job caused some pain but no permanent damage. I wave him away for now, and look forward to a second round eventually. I'm still determined to win a permanent role.

Debbie arrived around the same time Job played his tricks on me. She represents health news that I didn't want to hear -- especially since she's included in the list of "underlying conditions" that can be especially risky these days. As I mentioned above, I can telecommute, which helps mitigate the risk. Also, I've been able to manage the symptoms and make adjustments in my habits in the hopes that this dragon won't control me. I wish I could wave Debbie away, but that's unlikely to happen. She and I will need to negotiate a long-term truce.

Reggie popped up Friday night, representing the first rejection I've received from an agent for my novel Prime Conditions. In other circumstances, there might have been tears, but frankly the other dragons have hardened me a bit. This was from one of the agents I'd pitched to at a conference at the end of last year, both of whom asked for a query and part of the manuscript. I was surprised to get the requests, and wise enough not to send the manuscript to anyone else yet. The last several weeks I've worked with an author who provided advice for my synopsis, won a query critique from an editor, and engaged the services of an editor/sensitivity reader to make sure my manuscript is as polished as it can be. Those are all productive steps that help keep my outlook positive. I know Reggie will continue to make appearances, because that's part of the process. I'll do my best to face him with calm and the assurance that I'm going to continue improving until I finally hear a yes.

I don't think there's much to add about Corona that hasn't already been said in other forums. Many of us are trying to ward off that dragon. I'm using reading, writing, cooking, and meditation to keep myself balanced and healthy, and am trying to add more physical activity to the mix. I have friends and family I'm staying in touch with, and neighbors who text to ask if I need anything.

Last week I posted a little White Collar vignette titled Taxing Situation. I intended for it to prompt a few smiles. For Camp NaNoWriMo, I have two more short stories planned. Currently I'm working on one for the Supernatural fandom, and the next one I have in mind will be a Caffrey Conversation vignette. I look forward to sharing those with you, and have been enjoying fanfiction from other authors, too.

I hope all of you are finding what you need to face your versions of dragons, too. For now, Silbrith and I have updated our blog's banner to give us something to smile about. Instead of dragons, it now features plot bunnies exploring a library. The banner is the work of Will Quinn.

No comments:

Post a Comment